New Ultibo FPC and Lazarus Linux installation script (Testers wanted)

Releases, updates and announcements from the Ultibo team.
Gavinmc42

Re: New Ultibo FPC and Lazarus Linux installation script (Testers wanted)

Postby Gavinmc42 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 am

60,000 lines 12 secs ;)
Remembering the old days, start compiling and then go home and hope it finished the next day?
Buildroot is a bit like that, roll my own Linux OS? No thanks tried it once. Actually twice because I missed a switch.
Whole weekend wasted to get a Linux kernel that just had a few extra drivers compiled in :o

I'm booting from a Tiny USB 32GB Lexar drive it has Raspbian on it with Lazarus and Ultibo added.
The swap drive is on that drive.
Got Linux PC's lying around so the USB drive is to back up, no SD card reader needed.
Could really use a USB FRAM/MRAM based stick but they don't make them yet ;)

It does seem to boot faster too.
More optimised bootcode.bin?

The Pi 3B+ just pushed the Pi over into being a real Dev platform usable :D
Now I need a really fancy case for it.
pik33

Postby pik33 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:48 am

My standard RPi case is this:

https://kamami.pl/obudowy-do-raspberry- ... wona.html#

They are also available directly from China

This case is not compatible with RPi 3+ because of PoE pins and several other parts moved on the board, but then the pliers made it compatible again in several seconds :)

I think in some weeks there will be a new version of this case which will be compatible with the new board. (it was first available for RPi2 and incompatible with RPi3 because of different microSD slot - I had to apply a "pliers modding" too)
fredvs

Postby fredvs » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:22 pm

Hello.

Just tested ultiboinstaller.sh on last Linux Debian 9.5 64 bit.

Impressive how how-out-the-box it was and easy to do.

Downloading + Compilation of fpc/Lazarus Ultibo run perfectly.
Compile and test of HelloTiger demo is ok too.

(And the compilation of fpc/Lazarus-Ultibo much faster than using wine).

Big wow and congratulations.

Fre;D
fredvs

Postby fredvs » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:14 am

Hello.

Do you have plan to create a "BuildRTL" tool for Linux?
(If no, I will do it for you with pleasure).

Fre;D
hansotten

Postby hansotten » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:36 pm

BuildRTL is not really necessary, just install Ultibo again.

Delete the Ultibo folder, get the latest sources of the Ultibo site and run the installer.

Ofcourse keep your own files out of the Ultibo folders.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:12 am

fredvs wrote:Do you have plan to create a "BuildRTL" tool for Linux?

We've been considering how me might provide a binary download (as an RPM or DEB etc) for Linux to reduce the time needed to download and build Ultibo FPC and Lazarus from source.

As part of that it might be logical to provide any relevant tools as Linux versions as well, some things would translate with only a small amount of work while others such as QEMU Launcher are problematic to provide under Linux (we install a cut down version of QEMU on Windows).

The BuildRTL tool uses some Windows specific code to capture the output of a console process and display it in a window (see ExecuteConsoleProcessEx), everything else about it is pretty standard so if you know how to do the same trick under Linux and are willing to contribute that it would be very welcome. The tools are currently Delphi projects but we have tested converting them to Lazarus and they all appear to convert ok and work correctly when compiled with FPC.

A couple of welcome additions to BuildRTL (for any platform) that we have on our wish list would be:
1. More configuration options (already built in but not exposed).
2. A progress bar that indicates how far the process has completed.
3. Support for downloading and unzipping the latest RTL directly from GitHub.

Of course you don't have to take on any of these but if you are willing to help make it cross platform then we'll happily keep that going as we add more features.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
fredvs

Postby fredvs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:16 pm

Ultibo wrote:
fredvs wrote:Do you have plan to create a "BuildRTL" tool for Linux?

We've been considering how me might provide a binary download (as an RPM or DEB etc) for Linux to reduce the time needed to download and build Ultibo FPC and Lazarus from source.

As part of that it might be logical to provide any relevant tools as Linux versions as well, some things would translate with only a small amount of work while others such as QEMU Launcher are problematic to provide under Linux (we install a cut down version of QEMU on Windows).

The BuildRTL tool uses some Windows specific code to capture the output of a console process and display it in a window (see ExecuteConsoleProcessEx), everything else about it is pretty standard so if you know how to do the same trick under Linux and are willing to contribute that it would be very welcome. The tools are currently Delphi projects but we have tested converting them to Lazarus and they all appear to convert ok and work correctly when compiled with FPC.

A couple of welcome additions to BuildRTL (for any platform) that we have on our wish list would be:
1. More configuration options (already built in but not exposed).
2. A progress bar that indicates how far the process has completed.
3. Support for downloading and unzipping the latest RTL directly from GitHub.

Of course you don't have to take on any of these but if you are willing to help make it cross platform then we'll happily keep that going as we add more features.

Many thanks for that clear explanations.
Maybe something that would be welcome is the Linux equivalent of all the build scripts in the demos ( build_ultibo.bat ).
I was not able to make work the "build_ultibo.bat" scripts via wine in Linux.
So I did a Linux script based on "build_ultibo.bat".

Here for example the Linux command line for RPi2 that is working for the helloworld_ultibo fpGUI demo:
It is based on a Linux-Ultibo installation on default directory.

Code: Select all

/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/bin/fpc -ohelloworld_ultibo -Fu/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/inc -Fi/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/inc -Fl/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/inc -Fo/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/inc -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/gui -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/gui -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/gui -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/gui -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software/platform/ultibo -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software/platform/ultibo -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software/platform/ultibo -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/render/software/platform/ultibo -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/ultibo -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/ultibo -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/ultibo -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib/ultibo -Fu/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib -Fi/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib -Fl/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib -Fo/home/fred/fpGUI-ultibo/src/corelib -Fu/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/mipsel -Fi/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/mipsel -Fl/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/mipsel -Fo/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/source/rtl/mipsel -l -Mobjfpc -Sh -Fcutf8 -B -FUunits -dRPI2 -CpARMV7A -WpRPi2B  @/home/fred/ultibo/core/fpc/bin/RPI2.CFG  -Tultibo -Parm helloworld_ultibo.pas

Fre;D
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:36 pm

fredvs wrote:Maybe something that would be welcome is the Linux equivalent of all the build scripts in the demos ( build_ultibo.bat ).
I was not able to make work the "build_ultibo.bat" scripts via wine in Linux.

Yes, we should have shell script equivalents whenever we have batch files for building anything.

As far as I can see the fpGUI source is the only case where we provide batch files instead of creating lpi files for Lazarus.

fredvs wrote:Here for example the Linux command line for RPi2 that is working for the helloworld_ultibo fpGUI demo:

I'm interested why you added all of those paths to the command line.

You should never directly include the FPC RTL sources in your path, only the compiled units which are pointed to by the RPI2.CFG file. You also shouldn't need to specify the paths to each of the fpGUI source folders because the extrafpc.cfg file provided with each example points to the pre-compiled fpGUI units (built using the build_ultibo.bat file in the src folder).

When you tried the build_ultibo.bat file under Wine did you set the ULTIBO_DIR environment variable to point to your Ultibo installation? Did you build the fpGUI source first using the build_ultibo.bat file in the src folder?
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
fredvs

Postby fredvs » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:49 pm

Ultibo wrote:When you tried the build_ultibo.bat file under Wine did you set the ULTIBO_DIR environment variable to point to your Ultibo installation?

The problem comes from wine.
wine becomes crazy while running the bat file.

To be honest, since you have provided a Linux version of Ultibo, I highly would prefer to do all Unixly.

Ultibo wrote:Did you build the fpGUI source first using the build_ultibo.bat file in the src folder?

Ha, no, I did not do this (and will help lighten the script !).

Thanks.

Fre;D
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am

BuildRTL is not really necessary, just install Ultibo again.

Delete the Ultibo folder, get the latest sources of the Ultibo site and run the installer.

Of course keep your own files out of the Ultibo folders.

I renamed the old one, just in case, but everything worked fine.
Have not tested this script for some time, it felt like it installed much faster this time.

Time to try this on an Aarch64 Pi.

Return to “Ultibo”