uGFX

General discussion about anything related to Ultibo.
lalvarezt

uGFX

Postby lalvarezt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:10 am

Hi, great work, this is amazing, just by looking at the source code i have learned a lot. Could it be possible to add support to the uGFX library, or at least provide similar functionality (LCD controllers, etc.)

Thanks

Luis Manuel
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: uGFX

Postby Ultibo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:26 am

Hi, thanks for your comments, glad you are liking what you see so far.

The uGFX project looks very interesting and could possibly be ported to Ultibo, it could also be a good case for adding loadable module support (see topic in the Programming forum) so that things like uGFX could be compiled into a library and loaded by an Ultibo project to access their functionality.

There seem to be a number of possible ways to add graphical interface support, the fpGUI toolkit is already written in Free Pascal and seems to need only a new framebuffer interface written to make it work under Ultibo. Others have also suggested MSEgui or Free Vision (a text mode windowing interface) both written in FPC as well.

I don't think it will be very long before one of these is made usable in Ultibo programs.

You might be interested to know that the official Raspberry Pi Touchscreen should work already as a display (I don't have one yet to try it) and would only need touch support added to make it completely supported.
Ultibo.org | Make the future
https://ultibo.org
ahmadian

Postby ahmadian » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:01 am

Hi
I'm hardware developer and tested all examples of Ultibo. Thank for your great work.
I need to draw chart in my current project.
Is there a timed plan for mixing FpGui + Ultibo? (or other GUI lib)
Or I must develop it myself?
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:26 am

Hi,

There isn't any timeframe yet for getting fpGUI to work with Ultibo but I have started looking at the source of fpGUI to try to understand what is needed to make it work.

If you are familiar with how fpGUI works and the structure of it then you could help to make it happen sooner by providing some details of where Ultibo would need to hook in to make the framebuffer (and keyboard/mouse) work.

From what I can see so far the framebuffer interface seems to be compatible with what is already included in Ultibo, any information you (or anyone else) can provide will help to get something working sooner.

Thanks.
ahmadian

Postby ahmadian » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:13 am

I'm reading LCL basics for non-os possibility:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Custom_Drawn_Interface
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:55 am

Ok, I found a bit of spare time to look closer at what is needed to get fpGUI working on Ultibo and the results so far look promising.

Below is a screenshot (photo) of Ultibo on a Raspberry Pi 3 running a modified version of the CanvasTest example from fpGUI, as you can see rendering lines, rectangles, arcs and bitmaps is mostly working ok. The text is only raster font at this stage because FreeType 2 which AggPas uses is not available under Ultibo, only the FreeType 1 source code and as yet I don't know how to hook up FreeType 1 to AggPas and fpGUI.

fpGUI + Ultibo.jpg
fpGUI + Ultibo.jpg (211.73 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

There is no mouse or keyboard support or anything like that working yet, just some basic rendering.

Before you get too excited at the possibilities of this there are a few things to be dealt with, fpGUI is not a windowing engine and neither is AggPas so moving, resizing, opening and closing windows etc has to be done as new code in order to make any of that work. Most likely this will be limited to a single window initially because writing any sort of full featured window manager is a fair bit of work (any volunteers ;) ).

Next step is to contact Graeme from fpGUI and see if he has any ideas about getting FreeType 1 to work, after that probably some mouse and keyboard functionality would be useful when I find some more spare time.
DonAlfredo

Postby DonAlfredo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:42 am

Wow ... looks GOOD !!
Did you contact Graeme already ? I think he will be very interested.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks, I think it could be very exciting if we can get it working well.

DonAlfredo wrote:Did you contact Graeme already ? I think he will be very interested.

I posted a message in Graeme's newsgroup and he responded with some ideas already to follow up on.

But if anyone finds any more info on using FreeType 1 with fpGUI or AggPas (or any other pascal library really) feel free to post it here.

I'll post more info on the progress as we go :D
ahmadian

Postby ahmadian » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:22 pm

KerryS

Postby KerryS » Thu May 05, 2016 2:38 pm

Ultibo wrote:Ok, I found a bit of spare time to look closer at what is needed to get fpGUI working on Ultibo and the results so far look promising.

Looks good. Do you have a download link for the code so far? I don't need a full GUI for my projects, but do need some extras that this might well do the job for.

Thank you for creating Ultibo! Not having to deal with Linux or WinIoT is going to be great for embedded apps.

Return to “Discussion”