Ultibo for embedded systems

General discussion about anything related to Ultibo.
UltiboStandardUser

Ultibo for embedded systems

Postby UltiboStandardUser » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:30 am

I have to create a custom embedded device with an ARM cpu.
I would like use Ultibo to program it.

To do so I cannot take a normal raspberry and ecnlose it in a custom chassis, because I need to have a custom device. If the buyer disassemble it I don't want that he could see that it is just a simple raspberry.

So I would need a reference (basic) schematic that works with ultibo for sure. So I could modify it and develope my own PCB with the peripherials that I need.

So my request is : does this schematic exist ? If not, have you got some trick to solve my issue ?
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: Ultibo for embedded systems

Postby Ultibo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:12 am

UltiboStandardUser wrote:I have to create a custom embedded device with an ARM cpu.
I would like use Ultibo to program it.

To do so I cannot take a normal raspberry and ecnlose it in a custom chassis, because I need to have a custom device. If the buyer disassemble it I don't want that he could see that it is just a simple raspberry.

So I would need a reference (basic) schematic that works with ultibo for sure. So I could modify it and develope my own PCB with the peripherials that I need.

So my request is : does this schematic exist ? If not, have you got some trick to solve my issue ?

Hi, welcome to Ultibo.

We don't currently support any board other than the Raspberry Pi, except for the QEMU emulator but that isn't a real board.

So no we don't have a schematic that you can adapt for your own use, the truth is it takes an enormous amount of work to design and develop a board with the feature set of the Raspberry Pi which is why a large number of commercial projects are using it as the basis of their product because it saves a huge amount of time and money on creating a new design from scratch.

Many companies are making a very successful business out of designing and developing custom carrier boards that utilize the Raspberry Pi Compute Module for the core of their functionality, with the Raspberry Pi foundation offering a guarantee of 5 years supply it is also an attractive option for their customers.

Hope that helps, good luck with your project.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
UltiboStandardUser

Postby UltiboStandardUser » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:10 pm

Thank you for your answer.

The limit of using a normal raspberry is that if the customer discover that its 10000$ device simply contain a 35$ board, he could think to be frauded.
Yeah, the price is obviously for the software and the idea, not simply for the physical object; but not all pepole understand this.

Probably I will follow your suggestion building a carrier board with a Raspberry zero directly soldered on it. Or a Raspi3 with desoldered all connectors and camouflaged on the carrier board.

Thank you
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:21 am

The RPF's answer to this would be to use the Compute Module and make your own motherboard it plugs into.
This is also a reason why industrial users don't normally say they use Pi's.
That is starting to change as PI's bcome acceptable.

https://www.bhavinionline.com/2011/06/t ... paid-more/

Return to “Discussion”