Raspberry Pi 4 and Ultibo

Anything related to hardware, devices, drivers and how to use them with Ultibo.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and Ultibo

Postby Ultibo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:49 pm

develone wrote:I am building a new system and it is failing.

see https://gist.github.com/develone/f0b913 ... f5047c74c0
where it fails

Hi develone, Yes that looks exactly like the error you get when there is not enough swap file available.

If anyone has a 2GB or 4GB Pi 4 it would be interesting to know if the installer script works without changing the swap file size at all, although it is possible that Raspbian defaults to a larger swap value anyway on those models.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:47 am

Buster is broken?
New Buster with update/upgrade on a Pi4B2.
Ultiboinstall.sh stops at pango1.0, so does apt-get install fpc and apt-get install lazarus.

Whatever pango.10 is there is an error when it tries to install, could be my local repo?
Will try again without the Raspbian updates, most of those were after I got it working.
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:02 am

Nope still pango issues.
Ultibo/Laz/Fpc where the first things I installed on my Pi4B1 but that was with the first release of Buster.
Not sure what the issue is.
develone

Postby develone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 am

Hello All My error with the ultiboinstaller.sh failing was in fact not setting the swap space.
develone

Postby develone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:20 am

Hello all I am using 2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-full.zip. I need to do sudo apt-get update --allow-releaseinfo-change and sudo apt-get upgrade which take much longer. Let me know if I can provide additional information.
develone

Postby develone » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Hello all,
I just heard that a 64bit kernel was released for the RPi4? Will this help ultibo in processing time? I just saw claims of 20% using linpack benchmark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4su3nr6 ... e=youtu.be If this is true the support for RPi4 running Ulitibo more than WiFi for other models.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:09 am

develone wrote:Hello all,
I just heard that a 64bit kernel was released for the RPi4? Will this help ultibo in processing time? I just saw claims of 20% using linpack benchmark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4su3nr6 ... e=youtu.be If this is true the support for RPi4 running Ulitibo more than WiFi for other models.

We noticed that they have been testing a 64-bit Rasbian kernel for a while now, of course it makes no difference to Ultibo because we don't use the Linux kernel.

What it probably will do is hasten the demise of the Pi Zero because supporting multiple kernels will add extra overhead for the Raspberry Pi staff and, despite the official position, the release of a new model usually causes the previous model to rapidly disappear from the market.

Performance gains are totally subject to the design and functionality of the code, some code runs faster in 64-bit but equally some code runs slower.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:05 am

It is some what of a mess at the moment.

Laz/fpc/Ultibo run on Rasbian Buster 32, that works now.

The "best" 64bit OS at the moment is Gentoo64 but that requires aarch64 version of the fpc compiler.
You can get the 3.3.1 fpc aarch64 binary version, it works :D
I have yet to figure out how to build a 64bit Laz from fpc 3.3.1.

The Laz/fpc/Utibo make scripts are using the older arm 32bit compilers.
Lazarus Version 2.0/fpc 3.04/Ultibo use fpc 3.02 to build themselves.
But aarch64 bit support is from 3.2 onwards.
Once you have a Laz/fpc/Ultibo running on a 64bit kernel then you need a cross compiler back to 32bit armhf.

I imagine once Laz/FPC move the build scripts to 3.2 or 3.3, things will get easier.
Aarch64 support is much better in 3.2+.
We just need to wait.

But for Pi4 support USB/Ethernet/VC6 etc need to be redone.
In two versions? 32 and 64bit?
More waiting, this time for the Ultibo team and probably the 2711 manual?

I don't think we will see the Zero disappear any time soon, it is too cost effective for some stuff.
As long as Broadcom still make the BCM2835 it will probably be around.
pik33

Postby pik33 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:57 pm

You can now install the 64bit kernel via sudo rpi-update

Then arm_64bit=1 in config.txt and voila: you are in 64bit kernel/32bit userland

You can now use schroot to setup a 64-bit Lazarus and compile to 64-bit target using it. The schroot can be then used to run the resulting 64-bit executable.

As it is now I only tested a simple program with a form and a button. It works.

Now it's time to learn a64 asembler. I have a lot of procedures which simply lacks the registers: having more of them can speed things up.

The screen refreshing procedure in my GUI environment which I partially moved from Ultibo to Raspbian/RPi4 runs somewhat slower using 64bit kernel. There is also a problem with timings: I have to make mouse doubleclick very fast to be detected under a64 kernel. I measure time between clicks on my own so I have to look at the procedure and determine why it fails under the 64bit kernel and works ok under 32bit one.

Return to “General”