Raspberry Pi 4 and Ultibo

Anything related to hardware, devices, drivers and how to use them with Ultibo.
hippy

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 and Ultibo

Postby hippy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:52 pm

pik33 wrote:And the new USB and eth controlers means new drivers have to be written before Ultibo can communicate with an external world using its interfaces other than GPIO...

The legacy SoC USB bus now goes to the USB-C power connector, so it has host and device/gadget capability through that but not sure how the host/device signalling is implemented - One can therefore conceptually think of it as a Zero with additional Ethernet/USB host chips added.

It appears USB device boot, pushing firmware etc from a PC, will work through USB-C, but this is another area not documented so far.
markokrajnc

Postby markokrajnc » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi Garry! There are still some Raspberry PI 4 on stock on this Slovenian webshop:
http://www.en.galagomarket.com//item/di ... del-b,-4gb

Maybe you can write to the webshop owner at info@galago.si and arrange the shippment to Australia (on webshop there is only a selection of countries)!

I just ordered one yesterday...

Regards,
Marko
hippy

Postby hippy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:18 pm

hansotten wrote:The Pi 4 will replace the Pi 3B+ very quickly, as mediaplayer, general purpose computer, same market and quite bit above the 3B+

I think you are right.

The one thing the Pi 4 does probably show is which way RPT are now heading for the foreseeable future. There was some speculation they might move to something else, but it seems Broadcom ARM SoC with Videocore is what they will be sticking to. It now seems odds-on that the Pi5 and further will be evolution rather than directional change.

With the future being Pi 4, and evolutions of that, it seems it would make most sense to move Ultibo development in that direction, the sooner Pi 4 is supported the better.

But, while the Pi 4 will ultimately sideline earlier versions, the question must be what will Ultibo users be using in the next year, over the next few years ?
pvn0

Postby pvn0 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

markokrajnc wrote:Hi Garry! There are still some Raspberry PI 4 on stock on this Slovenian webshop:

Maybe you can write to the webshop owner at info@galago.si and arrange the shippment to Australia (on webshop there is only a selection of countries)!

I just ordered one yesterday...

Regards,
Marko

Can confirm, I ordered my rpi4 from this website on Monday and it arrived today, also their support response time is fast.
pik33

Postby pik33 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Availability in September??? Australia is far away from UK, but there is still June and I thought we are in 21th century...
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 pm

markokrajnc wrote:Hi Garry! There are still some Raspberry PI 4 on stock on this Slovenian webshop:

pvn0 wrote:Can confirm, I ordered my rpi4 from this website on Monday and it arrived today, also their support response time is fast.

Thanks for the info, we do have a 1GB version on the way (although currently held up waiting for stock of the power supply) which should hopefully arrive within a week or so and that will be enough to get started with working out the details for Ultibo support.

pik33 wrote:Availability in September??? Australia is far away from UK, but there is still June and I thought we are in 21th century...

Of the two biggest suppliers in Australia one is displaying "Buy Now" links which list the 1GB as coming soon and the 2GB and 4GB versions as available September or October 2019, the other seems to be not bothering with the 1GB and is quoting "stock available September 2019" for 2 or 4GB. These are the global suppliers that normally provide the bulk of the product to business, other smaller suppliers are showing closer dates but as yet there seem to be no 2GB or 4GB models in Australia at all.

Perhaps we might have to come to Europe to visit all of you and pick up a couple while we're there ;)
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:01 am

pvn0 wrote:spending too much development time on obsolete generations will have a cascading effect in terms of time available until the next gen drops.

That's a very good point, the nature of the Ultibo project means that our goal is already quite a high target to begin with which is why there are very few serious attempts to create an embedded platform for such a complex SoC and most RTOS type projects focus on a much more constrained set of features and hardware support.

If we don't keep the goal focused it could easily start to appear an impossible target.

hansotten wrote:The Pi Zero (W) is still alive and will continue so I think. Being the ultra low cost very small footprint version with enough cpu power for many things. Ultibo shines there and will be even more of wifi support is available (yes, I am aware of the huge effort it will take).

The Pi 3A+ also will be a viable option for quite some time, much lower power than the Pi 4, more cpu power, small footprint, low price. Great with Ultibo also.

I hope the Pi Zero continues, it does appear that without the backing of Farnell/element14 and RS they are still struggling to maintain production volume.

Both the Zero and the 3A+ (in fact any of the 1GB or less models) represent a great potential space for Ultibo or similar platforms. With the availability of 2GB and 4GB Pi4 variants there will be an inevitable pressure on Raspbian to expand its footprint to add more and more features which could make it less than desirable for use on the smaller models.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:57 am

Thanks for the info, we do have a 1GB version on the way (although currently held up waiting for stock of the power supply)

I did not get a new power supply with my 4B1 for that reason.
RPT say that the 3amps is needed for higher USB output, not for running the SoC.

A trip to my local Daiso this morning and I got a bunch of adapters/cables for this new tech USB-C/MicroHDMI.
I can confirm the Pi 2.5amp supply is enough to boot a Pi4.
There is not much space between the micro HDMI connectors so the usual adapters are too big.
If you just need one HMDI then an adapter will fit.

I think we can say RPT have nailed the VidoeCore architecture to the wall till at least 2026.
So we had better get to grips with that at least.
Anything else could change, with the possible exception of the ARM cpu's?

If we don't keep the goal focused it could easily start to appear an impossible target.

The impossible just takes longer, we have faith in you, no pressure :D

These Pi4's add three more versions RPF need to support.
It has been a few years since they have dropped any models.

Even if it takes time for Ultibo to do Pi4, I will be switching to the Pi4 for Ultibo development now.
The two screen outputs have changed my plans more than anything else.
I don't do 4K stuff or even have a 4K screen, that could be very important now.
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:16 am

Information is being found, is it now enough to make an Ultibo Pi4 platform?
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... m2838.dtsi
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... pi-4-b.dts

Jamesh says
The full peripheral spec document isn't quite ready yet. 300 pages of proof reading needed....

Ok, we just wait.
pik33

Postby pik33 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:32 am

My RPi4 is now up and running. Testing time :)

Information is being found, is it now enough to make an Ultibo Pi4 platform?
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... m2838.dtsi
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... pi-4-b.dts

Jamesh says

The full peripheral spec document isn't quite ready yet. 300 pages of proof reading needed....

Ok, we just wait.

Good :)

Return to “General”