Pakt book today: Delphi High Performance

Discussion and questions about programming with Ultibo.
aarondc

Pakt book today: Delphi High Performance

Postby aarondc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 am

Does anyone know if this book would be of use for Ultibo programming? It's on special today.

Delphi High Performance
https://www.packtpub.com/application-de ... erformance

The book begins by explaining how to find performance bottlenecks and apply the correct algorithm to fix them. It will teach you how to improve your algorithms before taking you through parallel programming. You’ll then explore various tools to build highly concurrent applications.

After that, you’ll delve into improving the performance of your code and master cross-platform RTL improvements. Finally, we’ll go through memory management with Delphi and you’ll see how to leverage several external libraries to write better performing programs.

By the end of the book, you’ll have the knowledge to create high performance applications with Delphi.

G'day.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: Pakt book today: Delphi High Performance

Postby Ultibo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:44 am

aarondc wrote:Does anyone know if this book would be of use for Ultibo programming? It's on special today.

Hi aarondc, welcome to Ultibo.

The RTL of Free Pascal (used by Ultibo) is very similar to Delphi so a lot of performance and optimization techniques work equally well on both and of course optimizing the choice and implementation of algorithms is relevant to almost every language.

So yes, if the book looks interesting I think it would be very applicable to Ultibo as well, the only thing that might not directly translate is the external library content.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
aarondc

Postby aarondc » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:02 am

Thanks!
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:40 am

One thing I really like about Ultibo is the multicore support.
But I have yet to use it apart from the example code.
A book like this could be just the thing to inspire more parallel coding.

It seem silly to me to have these 4 core Pi boards and not know how to use them to the max :D
pik33

Postby pik33 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 am

It seem silly to me to have these 4 core Pi boards and not know how to use them to the max

I already forgot how to program without having threads :) It may be complex when doing complex things but it is as simple as possible at the start: you declare and create a thread. You write a procedure for it. Inside the procedure you write repeat...until terminated loop. That is all for beginning.

Return to “General”