My Ultibo experience

General discussion about anything related to Ultibo.
Brutus

My Ultibo experience

Postby Brutus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello everybody,

Just this short message to tell how much I like Ultibo.

I started programming when I was around 12 and this was a real passion.

This was until I started working as a programmer for various activities, from banking to industry.
After a few years, I still loved programming, but not in the sense of having to deal with deprecated libraries, crashing OS, crappy compilers and buggy platform requiring thousands "service packs" to get working...

Some years ago, I had the opportunity to turn to process and mechanical engineering and seized it!
I am happy since then: No physics 2.0 service required! ;)

I still went on doing programming on my spare time, but since I still liked to use the harware to its best potential, an OS was still out of question, so I was playing with ATMega328 arduino clones (I gave a go to Raspberry/Linux before, but not having full control because of the OS behind quickly bored me).

The ATMega is very cheap and good fun, but lacking a bit of memory to do something really serious (advanced graphics, datalogging... etc).

Looking for Raspberry bare metal programming, I found Ultibo and my eyes popped out.
I couldn't believe everything was turn key to turn the Rpi computer into a hugely powerful microcontroller! :shock:
Instant boot, plenty of opensource libraries and examples, embedded assembler: this was just a dream becoming true! :D

I don't watch TV anymore during my spare time, and sometimes even forget to eat ;) .

I've been using it since around 1 year now, and even if Pascal syntax was a bit annoying at the very begining, I now got used of it and even like it!
One thing I learned the hard way: Just be very careful about what you are doing when dealing with "setLength" on a Free Pascal dynamic array! :lol:

Ultibo is the only development environment I feel that almost everything is possible to do with.
You do not look at an Rpi the same way before and after you knew Ultibo!

Thanks so much to the development team!

Regards,
Henri
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: My Ultibo experience

Postby Ultibo » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:13 pm

Hello Henri, welcome to the Ultibo forum.

Thank you for sharing your experience with using Ultibo. What you have described is almost exactly what we set out to create, an environment that gives the freedom to directly interact with the hardware and yet removes many of the frustrations that people often encounter when they begin to experiment with bare metal on the Raspberry Pi.

We haven't finished yet and there is a lot more still to do but it's great to hear from people who are enjoying using Ultibo and enjoying computing again.

Thanks again,

Garry & Annette.
The Ultibo Team.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
pik33

Re: My Ultibo experience

Postby pik33 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:36 am

I am happy since then: No physics 2.0 service required!

ROTFL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Discussion”