Missing something about boot firmware...

Discussion and questions about programming with Ultibo.
CoolChange

Missing something about boot firmware...

Postby CoolChange » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 am

I must be missing something about creating a boot SD card. I am newbie but I am trying to follow the process explained in "Getting Started".

I Dont have any trouble playing with Raspberry Pi's before the latest one. I can get them to boot fine. Just when I try to use the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ It will not work for me.

As an example. The HelloGLES example. It is natively a Pi2 project. and works fine if I run it on a Pi 3. When I set the target to Pi3, change the uses clause to "RaspberryPi3" from the original "RaspberryPi2" and ensure the additional file logo.bmp is there and the firmware is the latest. It only shows the rainbow screen. In fact the only thing I can get to run on the Pi3B+ is the demo.

Does anyone have any ideas. It feels like I'm missing something obvious but for the life of me.....

Regards,
Will
Ultibo
Site Admin

Re: Missing something about boot firmware...

Postby Ultibo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:53 am

CoolChange wrote:It only shows the rainbow screen. In fact the only thing I can get to run on the Pi3B+ is the demo.

Does anyone have any ideas. It feels like I'm missing something obvious but for the life of me.....

Hi Will,

There are pretty much only two reasons why you can get the rainbow screen when trying to boot an image on a RPi3B+.

The first is due to using firmware files that are too old, the latest versions of bootcode.bin, start.elf and fixup.dat can be downloaded directly from the firmware repository on GitHub or simply download the newest zip from the releases page instead.

Of course if you have a working copy of the demo image that runs on a Pi3B+ then you can simply copy those 3 files from it instead.

The second reason for the rainbow screen is due to using an Ultibo RTL that is too old. The current download of the Ultibo installer contains version 2.0.029 of the RTL (dated 19 September 2017) and to use the RPi3B+ you need version 2.0.279 (dated 15 April 2018) or later, the current version is 2.0.313.

To update your RTL to the latest version either follow the Building the Ultibo RTL instructions on the wiki or follow the Building the RTL video on YouTube.

Please let us know how you go.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
CoolChange

Postby CoolChange » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:08 am

OK all sorted now.

I was using the latest Ultibo download from your site, and as you point out it does not have the RTL version which is required to develop for the Pi 3B+

So updated the RTL as per video and it just worked.

I knew I was missing something!!!!!

Thanks for the help
Will
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:10 am

CoolChange wrote:OK all sorted now.

Excellent, thanks for letting us know.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org

Return to “General”