Opening a window on a new world of creativity…

News and information about Ultibo.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Opening a window on a new world of creativity…

Postby Ultibo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am

Just a few days ago it was officially 6 months since the release of Ultibo, in fact at almost the exact time of the first announcement we were on a plane heading to Sydney to talk about what Ultibo is and what you can use it for.

That got us thinking and we realized that in just 6 months Ultibo has opened up a whole new world of options for creating the kinds of things you have been wanting to create.

Take a couple of recent examples, in June we announced support for I2C and SPI devices amongst many other things. If you’ve ever had a look at the websites of suppliers like Adafruit or Pimoroni you might have noticed just how many useful addons like sensors, displays and controllers use these protocols to communicate. So now if you have access to a datasheet or some example code most of these cool gadgets are available to use in your Ultibo projects.

The other announcement that quietly came and went was support for connecting Arduino devices to your Ultibo projects and allowing you to communicate with them. At first glance that might not seem revolutionary but think about the possibilities that come from combining the world of Arduino with the power of Raspberry Pi and Ultibo and at the same time removing the limits imposed by an operating system.

A project like Ultibo has no end, no point at which it is complete because there will always be more to add and new things we want to support. The best time to start creating your own exciting world of gadgets is today so why not just get started.

Go on, make something. I dare you.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
pjde

Re: Opening a window on a new world of creativity…

Postby pjde » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:56 am

Where abouts can we find details on connecting Arduinos?

Regards

Paul
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:06 am

We don't need Arduino's, we need Zero's.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=98&p=589&hilit=arduino#p589
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:22 am

Hi Paul,

pjde wrote:Where abouts can we find details on connecting Arduinos?

I was going to point to the commit announcement where that functionality was released but then I reread it and realized that we didn't say much about it at all. Just to be complete, here is the link to the announcement viewtopic.php?f=4&t=172 of the two drivers needed to make this work.

As for the details, the drivers (FTDISerial and USBCDCACM) both combined will recognize a large number of Arduino models when connected via a USB cable to the Raspberry Pi.

The Arduino will then appear as a serial device which you can communicate with using the APIs in the Serial unit, for example:

SerialDeviceOpen()
SerialDeviceRead()
SerialDeviceWrite()

Note that this uses the Serial API not the UART API (because these are USB devices).

Of course with a serial connection available you can talk to the Arduino using an existing protocol such as GRBL, make up your own protocol or adopt something like Gordon's DRC (https://projects.drogon.net/drogon-remote-control/). The possibilities are endless since it is just serial data, which can be text or binary, and there are probably hundreds of examples out there which communicate with Arduino projects over serial.

One question that might come up, how do I locate the serial "device" that represents my Arduino?

Simplest answer is to use the SerialDeviceFindByDescription() function and pass either 'FTDI USB to Serial' or 'USB CDC ACM Serial' as the description to find depending on whether you have an older or a newer Arduino.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org

Return to “News”