There is a RPi4 on the wild

News and information about Ultibo.
Gavinmc42

Re: There is a RPi4 on the wild

Postby Gavinmc42 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:17 am

There is a side effect having a RPi4 and no Ultibo: I am learning Linux configuring and programming fast

Yep, learned more Laz/fpc stuff in the last month than the previous two years ;)
I have finally grasped OpenGL basics. That means OpenGLES is closer.

Tim's ShaderToy demo shows GLSL is working and I think some might have made music that way?
The VC6 is supposed to be able to support OpenCL.
How to do SonicPi in baremetal?
Yep, ok 4GB might help.
USB 3 stored samples?
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:36 am

asmodyne wrote:At the risk of sounding obnoxious to progress lovers, I'd prefer having Ultibo handle the raspi radio module first, rather than having it compatible with the new Raspberry 4.

We completely understand the sentiment of this, having the Pi 4 appear more than 6 months ahead of what was expected has meant we need to carefully consider how best to handle it.

As we have noted in previous posts we think there is a natural tendency for people to want to move to the "latest and greatest" whenever a new version is released and while the older Pi models will technically still be available for some time we expect that their sales will decline rapidly once the Pi 4 is generally available in good numbers.

At this point we plan to support the standard functionality of the Pi 4 as soon as we can (ignoring the major change in graphics functionality) and then return to working on completing the Ultibo feature set before looking further at the new VC6 and other features of the Pi 4.

On the subject of documentation while it will be nice to see some official information we are not waiting on it, everything we need to know is available from the Linux source and we are currently in the process of working through the initial boot process to obtain some core functionality. It has always been necessary to refer to the Linux source even for the earlier Pi models simply because the documentation available is never a complete reference.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:31 am

(ignoring the major change in graphics functionality)

There is so much graphics capability that it would be hard to do it justice anyway.

Messing about with OpenGL has just highlighted to me the lack of OpenGLES tools.
But I found some interesting examples in the ARM Mali SDK etc.
Sure we can do triangles and cubes but there is nothing like the FreeGLUT toolset/library for OpenGLES.

If you get a working framebuffer, can we get another for the second HDMI?
Do the minimum to get the Pi4 going?
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:There is so much graphics capability that it would be hard to do it justice anyway.

That's not really what we meant by major change, the Pi 4 doesn't contain any revolutionary graphics capabilities (most PC graphics cards could walk all over it), the change is that the driver for the 3D graphics (OpenGL/GLES) on the VC6 is now in Linux and not in the firmware. That is apparently a good thing for Linux (except that the new driver is slower) but it is a lot less of a good thing for everyone else.

The interesting thing is how much of the firmware support still exists, it appears that DispmanX, Camera, OpenMax, MMAL and some other bits are still (largely) available, the Pi 4 uses the much talked about but very seldom understood FKMS Linux driver which is a bit of a "Frankenstein" of parts from all over the place.

Gavinmc42 wrote:If you get a working framebuffer, can we get another for the second HDMI?

As far as we understand the multiple framebuffer support works on all Pi models now and allows many combinations including both HDMI ports on the Pi 4.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:51 am

I found TinyGL.
https://bellard.org/TinyGL/
Was looking at porting some of it to the VC4 OpenGLES as a sort of mini FreeGLUT.
Making cubes and spheres instead of just triangles.

But could it be used on the VC6 too?
That Mesa stuff is huge, TinyGL instead of OpenGL.
It might be slower but the Pi4 is faster.

Looks like Mesa is doing OpenGL, OpenGLES, OpenCL, OpenMAX and a bunch of other stuff.
A "make all" on the mesa demos makes a bunch of things including shader stuff that works.
Use as a reference?
Hey, there is a raytracer at 60fps :o
pik33

Postby pik33 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:50 am

How to do SonicPi in baremetal?

Not exactly Sonic Pi but this is my old project

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pc-sof ... erry%20Pi/

I have to clean the mess in it. As it is now you have to download 0.06 for PC, then 0.08 for RPi - 0.06 archive contains samples and adsrs needed for it to run. It uses a Basic-like language called Masic to describe a music. It is Lazarus so it can be Ultibo except I have no widgets like a text editor and sliders and that's why I didn't made a Ultibo version of it yet.

Return to “News”