There is a RPi4 on the wild

News and information about Ultibo.
pik33

Re: There is a RPi4 on the wild

Postby pik33 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Yes, it behaves like a (not very fast) normal Linux PC. I don't need now to switch my PC on to browse the net, the RPi is sufficient

But then they messed up the graphic subsystem using this KMS and breaking compatibility with older software. And the new drivers are SLOW. I hope they will be upgraded and/or there will be a way to bypass them. As it is now, no usable retroemulator can run on RPi4 at 60 fps fullscreen: even glxgears makes 40 fps on the full screen which is of course way too slow. Even Youtube is slow (unusable) when put it on the fullHD KMS driven screen. Switch out the KMS driver and Youtube is fluent again. I stil hope it will be upgraded and bottlenecks will be found and removed.

I have now an access to the old style framebuffer as I switched this KMS off. It means I have no 3D acceleration and OpenGL. With KMS on, the framebuffer stuff doesn't work: only basic functions (get an address, put a pixel) work and I don't know how fast they are yet.

------

Edit: I have now working bouncing squares demo in Pascal on the RPi4 framebuffer. This opens the possibility to move a Retromalina unit to RPi4/Linux and run the environment on RPi4. I am curious how fast it will redraw the screen on the RPi4
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:16 am

The Linux driver accesses all the 3D from ARM space, nothing 3D is now done on the VC6 VPU.

A direct quote from Jamesh.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 7&t=246350

So OpenGL should be easy on the Pi4?
pik33

Postby pik33 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:30 pm

Mesa has to be recompiled for Ultibo and then headers has to be written in Pascal. A HUGE task.
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:42 pm

Mesa has to be recompiled for Ultibo and then headers has to be written in Pascal. A HUGE task.

Maybe, maybe not?
https://github.com/SaschaWillems/dglOpenGL

Anyway it is looking like OpenGLES might just get passed through the OpenGL driver.
Hmm, but then again I have only looked at the V3D specific source.
Do we need the OpenGL driver?

Some bare metal guys seem to be able to drive the VC6 direct?
Too early to tell?
asmodyne

Postby asmodyne » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:26 pm

At the risk of sounding obnoxious to progress lovers, I'd prefer having Ultibo handle the raspi radio module first, rather than having it compatible with the new Raspberry 4.
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:49 pm

At the risk of sounding obnoxious to progress lovers, I'd prefer having Ultibo handle the raspi radio module first, rather than having it compatible with the new Raspberry 4.

I tend to agree even if I am coming across as impatient.

The Pi4 still needs more documentation.
The only way to use it now is reverse engineer the Linux source, better off waiting for the docs?

Anyway plenty to learn about OpenGL in native mode with Laz/FPC on Buster/Pi4.
I have not bothered with OpenGLES in ULtibo because it is harder.
hippy

Postby hippy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 pm

asmodyne wrote:At the risk of sounding obnoxious to progress lovers, I'd prefer having Ultibo handle the raspi radio module first, rather than having it compatible with the new Raspberry 4.

Perhaps one question to ask is; how many new users would Ultibo attract if on-board WiFi were usable on the Zero W, 3A+, 3B and 3B+ against how many it would attract if Ultibo were made to work on the 4B ?
develone

Postby develone » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:48 pm

I too would prefer that WiFi be done before moving to RPi4. It appears to me that RPi4 at this point is a great development platform for Ultibo. Should there be a survey of users as to what they would like to see done first like was done for the 2.0 work.
My work with FPGA shows me that the RPI is much better than low end FPGAs at this time.
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:45 am

If we want to consider the Pi's as IoT platforms then connectivity is important.
WiFi is part of this. Especially on the Zero's.

As much fun as the Pi4 is, it has become more my defacto desktop PC at home for developing code for Pi's than an IoT thing.
I cannot figure out how to use all that 1GB on the older Pi's let alone 4GB on a Pi4B4.
But a Ultibo based Pi4B4 server might be fun now with that Ethernet and USB speed.

Another survey?
pik33

Postby pik33 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:28 am

I know what to do with 4GB using RPi4 and Ultibo: a fm/sampler hybrid synthesizer. I have the alpha code running on PC, written, of course, using Lazarus. The RPi3 is simply too slow to do this kind of hybrid synthesis in pure Pascal code: asm is needed and I expect no more than 8 voices of polyphony. So I planned to use a RPi3 as a module: you want 32 voices, you use 4 RPi3s (for example, I didn' test the code on RPi3 yet) Then the sample memory: the synth can use wav and xi samples, some of them are huge and having only 1 GB means I can use limited number of samples and load/ulload them on the fly.

Then the RPi4 arived: 3x faster and 4 GB RAM. This means I have a place for samples and a speed for synthesis. With working SDL2 I can simply move the code from PC: the only thing to change is MIDI input module and memory allocation function calls.

Of course when there is Ultibo availavle this canl be moved there (if only I learn how to write USB MIDI input driver...)

There is a side effect having a RPi4 and no Ultibo: I am learning Linux configuring and programming fast

Return to “News”