Success really isn’t optional

News and information about Ultibo.
OregonJim

Re: Success really isn’t optional

Postby OregonJim » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:03 am

Ultibo wrote:Today marks two years since the release of Ultibo

Happy Birthday!

Ultibo wrote:one recurring theme we see is that the Pascal language is too often cited as a reason not to use Ultibo.

Funny - Pascal is what drew me TO Ultibo! While I'm a well seasoned embedded systems engineer, and comfortable with C/ASM and all the others, Pascal has always been my "first love". FreePascal & Lazarus are my favorite tools - I've only just stumbled across Ultibo today, but it looks exciting - my drawer full of RPi's may yet prove to be useful for realtime tasks!
Gavinmc42

Postby Gavinmc42 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:02 am

Welcome to Ultibo. Pascal's new frontier.

I never really used Zero's till Ultibo USBboot got working.
Still mostly for coding practice but that's further than I got with Linux on them ;)

Not perfect for realtime (ARM A series restricted) but much better than Linux.
I had trouble with i2c sensors used in a temperature controller under various Linux OS's.
Not so with Ultibo, hdmi graphics was bonus, all the FPC packages that just work - extra bonus.
witenite

Postby witenite » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:06 am

As a Delphi programmer, I also use the free Pascal compiler too. Pascal is an incredibly good language, which I think Ultibo owes a lot of it's compactness and effectiveness to I think. I also use C (but not C++, as Delphi is superior for what I do commercially). I personally really don't want to see the project get diluted with other language options. I feel that if you had to do so, Ultibo would lose that which differentiates it from other available operating systems for SBC's like the Raspberry Pi. If people really want to use other languages, why not just select another (uhum arguably less efficient and overly complex) operating system instead...

Keep up the great work guys. I am relatively new to Ultibo and look forward to putting it through its paces and hopefully contributing where I can too.
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:33 am

witenite wrote:Keep up the great work guys. I am relatively new to Ultibo and look forward to putting it through its paces and hopefully contributing where I can too.

Thanks witenite, welcome to Ultibo.

We very much agree that the flexibility and reliability of Free Pascal made it possible to go much further with Ultibo than might otherwise have been the case, we hope that including many more potential Ultibo users will also help to make it even better.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
mark

Postby mark » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:45 pm

witenite wrote:As a Delphi programmer, I also use the free Pascal compiler too. Pascal is an incredibly good language, which I think Ultibo owes a lot of it's compactness and effectiveness to I think. I also use C (but not C++, as Delphi is superior for what I do commercially). I personally really don't want to see the project get diluted with other language options. I feel that if you had to do so, Ultibo would lose that which differentiates it from other available operating systems for SBC's like the Raspberry Pi. If people really want to use other languages, why not just select another (uhum arguably less efficient and overly complex) operating system instead...

Keep up the great work guys. I am relatively new to Ultibo and look forward to putting it through its paces and hopefully contributing where I can too.

You might try https://github.com/markfirmware/ultibo- ... /v20190111

The readme is empty - this zip file has an Ultibo kernel that launches some other selected kernels for demonstration. The escape key returns to the list of samples. The one called Project1 is an extensive retro machine from Piotr @pik33.

Regards,
Mark

Return to “News”