A retro future, without the past

News and information about Ultibo.
Ultibo
Site Admin

A retro future, without the past

Postby Ultibo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:27 am

You might have noticed that Ultibo has been used in quite a few retro projects over the past couple of years, that's probably not surprising really since there is a huge interest worldwide in all things retro including computers and gaming. It also could be a reflection of the Ultibo model which removes many of the restrictions imposed by modern operating systems, in many ways early computers were a lot like bare metal environments because their operating systems (if they even had one) were very minimal and only provided the most basic services.

For many the attraction lies in remembering their youth and a simpler time when it was possible to fully understand the workings of not only the computer but the software that made it operate, something which has long since ceased to be achievable for everything but the microcontroller devices of today.

But while there is a certain nostalgia and fond memories of the past we're pretty sure not too many would really give up what we have today and go back to the beginnings of technology, after all computers were slow (very slow), phones had cords, you could only watch what the television stations wanted to show you, wireless was something you gathered around to listen to and without the internet we rarely communicated with people outside of our own small patch of the world.

Maybe Ultibo offers a compromise between the two, a sort of retro future without the limitations of the past. Software that provides the features we've come to expect but doesn't include all of the size and complexity we're so often told is required. Only time will tell if we're right or wrong, in the meantime it's just a lot of fun watching where it leads.

We love all the retro projects but not because we want to revisit the past, it's just really cool to see what people create.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org
mark

Re: A retro future, without the past

Postby mark » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 am

Ultibo wrote:You might have noticed that Ultibo has been used in quite a few retro projects over the past couple of years, that's probably not surprising really since there is a huge interest worldwide in all things retro including computers and gaming. It also could be a reflection of the Ultibo model which removes many of the restrictions imposed by modern operating systems, in many ways early computers were a lot like bare metal environments because their operating systems (if they even had one) were very minimal and only provided the most basic services.

For many the attraction lies in remembering their youth and a simpler time when it was possible to fully understand the workings of not only the computer but the software that made it operate, something which has long since ceased to be achievable for everything but the microcontroller devices of today.

But while there is a certain nostalgia and fond memories of the past we're pretty sure not too many would really give up what we have today and go back to the beginnings of technology, after all computers were slow (very slow), phones had cords, you could only watch what the television stations wanted to show you, wireless was something you gathered around to listen to and without the internet we rarely communicated with people outside of our own small patch of the world.

Maybe Ultibo offers a compromise between the two, a sort of retro future without the limitations of the past. Software that provides the features we've come to expect but doesn't include all of the size and complexity we're so often told is required. Only time will tell if we're right or wrong, in the meantime it's just a lot of fun watching where it leads.

We love all the retro projects but not because we want to revisit the past, it's just really cool to see what people create.

https://recalbox.com
Check out their slogan. They are included in https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... n/noobs.md
Ultibo - The Internet of Things that Just Work
pik33

Postby pik33 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 am

This was what I thought when i started the retromachine projet.
Possibilities of today. Multiprocessor, multithreading, HD screen resolution, HQ audio, etc
Simplicity of yesterday. "Hardware" sprites, full memory access, simple graphic functions.
I started this several years ago on the PC using SDL.
Then I found Ultbo which has another retro feature: the system starts immediately and you can simply switch it off.

The Ultibo has some anti-retro stuff but fortunately they can be switched off - the scheduler and the default memory settings. When switched (partially) off, you can have a dedicated cpu and self modifying code.

All of this is written in Pascal - the retro language.
msx80

Postby msx80 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 pm

Glad to hear this! I'm also working at thiskind of stuff and making some slow progress :) Soon i'll have something to show!
Ultibo
Site Admin

Postby Ultibo » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:01 am

msx80 wrote:Glad to hear this! I'm also working at thiskind of stuff and making some slow progress :) Soon i'll have something to show!

Yours is one of a number of Ultibo retro projects that we're watching and very happy to see, keep up the good work!
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org

Return to “News”